- Against the wall under a window
- Against a wall with no window
- Bolted to a wall
- In the middle of the shop
- Adjacent to a wall near a window with space between the bench and the wall.
I've found that the best place for my bench is the last one, with a gap of around 10" at the back of the bench to the wall, for the following reasons:
- My tool rack is across the window so I don't want to stretch too far to get tools
- The bench is heavy enough to stay put without the extra help from a wall when planing for instance
- The window casts natural light onto the bench
- Anything that falls off the back of the bench can be easily retrieved
- I can use the rear apron of the bench to clamp onto. The space gives access to get the clamps in.
The bench is also on a mobile base that can be jacked up so I can pull it out further if need be.
This arrangement works well for me and I've arrived at the solution by trial and error.