Monday, 30 January 2017

Saw Till Part 2

The next part of the build was the lower panel. This will ultimately support the drawers so needed cutting to length and transferring the pins onto it. Also a dado was cut for the vertical divider and a groove at the back for a back panel.

Tenons cut on the ends of the drawer console upper panel. This shows the grooves and dado cut on the underside of the panel.
This part is French oak as I had run out of Iroko. It's only shop furniture after all!

The upper and mid cross-members were made next. I had opted to use conventional mortise and tenon construction on these. They were cut to length and I used the tablesaw to cut the tenons. Also grooves were cut lengthwise on each of the short faces for the rear panels.

Tongue and groove western red cedar was used for the rear panel. I cut some tenons on the tablesaw to enable the boards to slot into the grooves.

I ended up with a bunch of parts to glue up.

Apologies for this very blurred photo showing the glueup
I used wide WRC boards for the lower part of the back and narrow WRC boards for the upper part of the back. No attempt was made to keep them inline top to bottom but it ended up looking acceptable. The whole of the project was made from scraps I had in stock.
Titebond 3 was used for the glueup because of its reasonable open time and also it was all I had on hand.

Thursday, 19 January 2017

Saw Till Part 1

The New Year of 2017 gets underway at TMC Woodworks with something I have been threatening to make for a while. I have a large collection of hand saws and currently don't have a neat way of storing them. They are just hung on a few pegs on a board which is in turn hanging on a French cleat.

I need to change this arrangement

I saw a free set of plans for a Galoot Saw Till from Popular Woodworking which seemed ideal so I adapted the plans for my needs. Mine roughly follows the size and shape but instead of an open space at the bottom I installed two drawers instead. I also dispensed with the multiple sections making up the rear panel. There was a design flaw in the way that the upper crossmember was installed. The original had used dovetails. The pins in the side boards had been cut so they presented the direction of the grain to the crossmember. This is inherently weak as the pins could just shear along the grain line. I decided to use mortise and tenon joinery for this component instead.

The top left of this image shows what I mean, The pins in this configuration add little or no strength as they are cut with the grain direction. If you were to hang this from the crossmember it could fail if subject to loading.
Here is my version of the sawtill

The sides of the original could be made from a single long board if you take care when cutting the profile. Unfortunately I didn't have sufficient stock on the shelves in the shop to make it as designed and I only wanted to use what I had. So like a good woodworker I compromised with what I had. I found a couple of pieces of western red cedar left over from a project so glued up a fabrication to gain enough stock. As I started just before New Year 2017 it was cold in the shop and when one of the glue ups came out of the clamps it sprung apart at the joint line. Essentially the yellow glue hadn't cured due to the low temperature. I also found that the cedar was awful to cut dovetails. It simply does not have sufficient resistance to deformity. When cutting dovetails by hand with saw and chisel the stock does need to be able to resist some pressure when chiselling. Cedar is too soft and I had wasted a couple of days on this. A new years break, work and some theatre work then got in the way of anymore shoptime for a few weeks

So back to the drawing board mid January I found some iroko and oak on the shelves so remade the fabrications again this time using West System epoxy. Obviously the sawtill would be a lot heavier now as iroko and oak are very dense in comparison to cedar. The first job was to mill the rough boards, make a glue up to get enough stock and when cured cut the side panels to shape. I cut the sides whilst they we stuck together with double sided tape.

I am a tails first person when it comes to cutting dovetails so I set about making the tailboards first. The side panels only needed tails at the bottom to hold the lower panel in place.

Monday, 16 January 2017

Current hand tool storage

Here is an update on the current over bench hand tool storage arrangement in the shop (January 2017)
Now using the outside of the cabinet to store twist drills and bradpoint drills
Door open showing the inner door in closed state

Inner door swung open to reveal planes and other tools

Tool rack over the window

I need a proper sawtill. That is a coincidence as I'm currently building one! See later blog posts.