Tuesday 8 September 2020

Assymetric Chest Of Drawers - Part 1 - The Design

Inspired by Mark Ripley's cabinet in Furniture And Cabinetmaking magazine Issue 294.

I have a place in my office for a new chest of drawers to replace a mass produced piece of tat that we acquired a few years ago.

Inspiration was gleaned from Mark's design. I changed it to suit my requirements and it is slightly taller than wide (about 4 feet square) and 17" deep.

I used Sketchup to produce the preliminary design. As can be seen there are a lot of joints and quite a few webframes. In all I opted for 14 drawers with a yet to be determined front. The carcase, plinth and top will be made from European oak.


Finished chest of drawers

Carcass showing webframes, plywood subtop and plywood base



This will probably take some time for me to complete but I will continue to blog in later posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment