|Using a chisel to clear the round corner|
|Followed up by the chisel plane|
The door parts were made next. As I didn;t have enough walnut width for the entire door, this was being made with what I had on my shelves after all, I made a few glue ups. I did use some dark Titebond II rather than the Titebond II shown
on the pictures.
After the glue up these sections were milled to size using the jointer/planer, a rabbet cut for the front panel and again dovetailed/glued.
|Woodpeckers and Rockler clamping squares were used|
to maintain squareness.
|Walnut plugging the screw holes.|
|Inside of the door|
The hinge has leaves that are 1.2mm (3/64") thick so I had to cut a slight rabbet in one of the door stiles and the face frame of the carcass. To do this I used a Record 778 rabbetting plane. This is definitely the best tool for the job.
|Marking the 1.2mm line on both of the edges. |
Once you've started planing you don't know how deep you've gone
so it's always best to work to a line
|The 778 in operation. This is a superb plane|
|The resulting rabbet. Note the ends of the untouched|
edge banding can be used to register the hinge in place.
The hinge was fitted first of all to the carcase whilst on its back. The external door was then propped up to the same level as the carcase face, using whatever handy pieces of scrap I had around, and screwed into place. If everything was square in a perfect world it would meet precisely. However this is not a perfect world so I purposely had made the door slightly oversize so I could plane it flush to the carcase. This planning paid off and I now have a perfectly fitting door.
|Door fits perfectly|
|Stainless steel piano hinge fitted|