The cross stretchers were cut to size. I had calculated that the swing of the relatively deep door (5") would miss the carcass if the closed gap at the non hinge side was about 9/16" for the trailing edge to clear.
I gave the door 7/8" gap.
Then door was simply constructed by gluing and screwing the butt joints. The ply panel was also glued and screwed into place. I decided to change the design slightly and positioned the ply panel 1" in from what would become the front. This way I could use both sides of the door to hand items.
The screw head holes were plugged with more walnut plugs. Finally both sides of the exposed ply ends were covered with walnut bindings.
|Edge banding glued in place after removing the |
forest of clamps and waiting to be trimmed
|I really like my chisel plane|
it is great for removing squeeze out
|Test fitting. Note I originally intended to use hidden hinges|
but opted instead for another stainless steel piano hinge.
|Just in case you were wondering the outer door|
also needed propping in this exercise.
MDF offcuts come in very useful.
|Another use for blue tape!|
|I was able to drill most of the holes with a vix bit but|
those close to the bottom (and top) had to be
drilled with a regular pilot drill and a long flexible shaft.
|Here you can see what is on the other end of the flexible shaft.|
|Closing the door|
You can see the 1" deep tray on the inner door now.
This gives more storage space for thinner tools without
interfering with any tools in the outer door.
|Now you can see the entire cabinet opened up.|
Plenty of room to store planes and other tools.
Now to make the drawers.