Friday, 14 August 2015

Bedside tables (nightstands) - Part 7 - Table glue-up

All parts were sanded to 240 grit using a random orbit sander. Some of the beads had left a rough edge on the top part of the bead so they too were sanded smooth. After a sanity check to make sure everything fitted correctly and all the joints pulled tight I marked all the parts up (on the tenon faces), as I disassembled the dry fit, to ensure I got the right components in the correct place the right way around during the subsequent glue-up.

If you take care to do this before hand I find that glue-ups go far better and with no panic.
The glue used again was Titebond 2 Dark. All the tenons were coated with glue and the mortises were coated too. I also like to put a thin layer of glue on the shoulder faces and the corresponding long grain around the mortise.

The parts were all assembled and placed into parallel clamps. The whole assembly was then turned onto its feet, my new flat low assembly table being pressed into service. The parts are then all checked for squareness (especially the drawer aperture) and checked across corners. The glue-up is left to setup overnight.

5 clamps work well on this project
The side sub-assemblies had already been glued up
in a previous procedure 

The low assembly table brings the project to
the ideal level

No comments:

Post a Comment